Owners of last year’s Acer Iconia Tab A500 and Sony Tablet S have something to be grateful about — both devices will finally have a bite of Ice Cream Sandwich. While few months late is better than never, the Android 4.0 update will slowly hit both tablets in the form of OTA. While both tablets have already wielded Google’s newest and greatest thanks to to custom ROM’s, it’s nice to see both manufacturers officially deliver Ice Cream Sandwich.
While Sony’s peculiar wedged shape device didn’t make much of a splash in the tablet market, it’s unique hardware design was enough to make everyone wet their whistle. While at long last Ice Cream Sandwich has made an appearance, Sony is looking to entice stragglers by shaving a couple of bucks. From now through May 12, Sony is offering a $50 instant rebate, a cradle for your new slate, a $349 value for 16GB model and $449 for the larger 32GB version.
For current users you can expect the following enhancement thanks to the 4.0 update:
- Enhanced lock screen (Direct access to Notifications; Unlock direct to camera)
- New panoramic camera mode
- Enhanced Gallery media viewer (Direct SD card access + photo editing tools)
- Exclusive “Small Apps’ for multi-tasking (Calculator, Browser, Remote Control)
- New Home Screen actions (Drag icons together to create folders; Add names to folders)
- Enhanced web browser (Switch from mobile to desktop web sites; Save pages for offline viewing)
- Access files directly from SD card
- Native screenshot capture
Acer Iconia Tab A500 users can check for the recent update if they haven’t already done so. You can follow the instructions below straight from Acer:
Updating your Acer tablet via pop-up notification:
- When a pop-up window appears notifying you of a new firmware update, tap Firmware upgrade.
- Tap Download Now and then tap OK to start the download.
- The download progress will be shown. Once the download completes, tap Install Now to start the automatic installation.
- The tablet will restart to complete the update and a window will inform if the process was successful. Tap OK to close the window.
In the event that you do not receive a pop-up but want to check for available updates, use the following steps:
- On the top-right of the screen, tap Apps.
- Scroll left to the second screen and, then, tap the Settings icon.
- On the bottom-left of the screen, click the About tablet option.
- Tap System update and, then, Check now.
- The system will check for available updates. If any updates are available, then the installation will follow the same steps as above.