8tracks - Radio, rediscovered
8tracks is handcrafted internet radio -- the social, curated alternative to Pandora. Featuring more than 450,000+ mixes created by people who know & love music, the 8tracks Android app gives you easy, free & mobile access to the best collection of music playlists on the web.
8tracks believes playlists created by people trump those automated by algorithm. Think radio in the 1970s, mixtapes in the 1980s, and DJ culture in the years since. DJs get a platform for tastemaking, artists gain exposure, & listeners enjoy a unique blend of word-of-mouth sharing & radio -- long the trusted means for music discovery -- on a global scale.
- Listen to playlists with 8 or more tracks in any style or genre, for any mood or environment
- Full tablet support including Samsung Galaxy Tab and Kindle Fire
- Support for both Honeycomb & Ice Cream Sandwich
- Playlists segue from one to the next in a given category, delivering radio-like streaming
- Enjoy mixes from top curators like Pitchfork, Vice, SPIN, Rolling Stone & Resident Advisor
- Browse genre tags like indie rock, electronic, dubstep, hip hop and jazz
- Browse freeform tags like sleep, study, chill, sex & party
- Search for playlists that include your favorite artists
- Listen to mixes everywhere: on your commute, at the gym, on a beach
- Follow your favorite DJs to play their latest mixes from your mix feed
- Like mixes you want to check out again, or Favorite tracks you want to buy later
- Tested for Android 2.1 & up
When you open the 8tracks Android app, sign up to personalize your listening experience. This allows you to Favorite tracks, Like mixes and Follow DJs (we only ask for a username, email and password). Or, just click “Take me to the music” and select one of our Hot mixes. If you’d like to browse other mixes, click the 8tracks icon to open the navigation options. You can refine your search results by selecting a sort order (New, Hot, Popular) in combination with one or more tags (typically genre or mood). You can also search mixes by tag, artist or description.
Listening to a mix
When you click on a mix, you’ll arrive at the “mix page”, which displays the mix title, cover art, and a count of “plays” and “likes” received to date. The current track is displayed along with player controls at the bottom of the screen, and the star icon allows you to Favorite it. If you enjoy a playlist, click Like to bookmark it for later, or Share it with friends via text, email, Twitter, Tumblr or Facebook. Or, click Next mix to jump to the following mix in the set. The mix is described and tagged at the bottom of the page.
8tracks is fundamentally social. Once logged in, click on a DJ’s name or avatar on any mixpage to check out the DJ’s profile. This profile presents basic info (location, short bio, Twitter handle, website, etc.), stats (mixes, followers, following), and a list of all mixes published by that DJ. You can Follow the DJ to add his or her mixes to your mix feed; mixes by all of the DJs you follow are included here in reverse chronological order.
“Algorithm-powered ‘personal radio’ services like Pandora are all very well. But they don't feel nearly as personal as 8tracks, a music site where real people do the choosing of tunes.”
- Time Magazine, 50 Best Websites of 2011
“When it comes to finding new music, 8tracks has long been one of the cooler methods.”
- MG Siegler, TechCrunch
“8tracks has slowly and steadily emerged as the industry’s reigning Internet mixtape startup”
- Colleen Taylor, GigaOM
“A free, legal music service we love”
- Peter Kafka, Silicon Alley Insider
“8tracks takes a fun approach to creating custom mixes with the idea being that user-crafted music programming is more entertaining than algorithm-generated lists.”
- Jennifer Van Grove, Mashable
//[ad goes here]